Temple Israel

Temple Israel History


Temple Israel traces its roots back to the 1880s and 1890s, when Eastern European Jewish immigrants first began arriving in Springfield.  They established an Orthodox synagogue, B'nai Abraham, on 7th and Mason Streets, in the area where many of the Jewish families were merchants.  The congregation was re-chartered in 1957 as a Conservative synagogue under the name Temple Israel.